Monday, May 16, 2011

First Review

The Place: Cafe Algiers
                   50 Beale Street




The Order:
Spicy Turkey on Dutch Crunch with Pepper Jack and Jalapenos


The Review:
As I said, I am starting my reviews in the Financial District, near where I work. And what better place than where there is a line out the door by 11:30 everyday...this has got to be good right? Well, Cafe Algiers offers what I like to call a "fine" sandwich, there is nothing wrong with it...it's fine. That doesn't mean it's bad, just doesn't knock my socks off. I waited in line for 20 minutes at 11:30 after trying to beat the crowd. I stood in line anticipating the great sandwich that all these people must be waiting for. There is a very small chalkboard menu and they heavily advertise their use of Boars Head Meat, which is a plus for me, they make a good product. People in front of me and behind me were talking about the Spicy Turkey, so I made up my mind. I ordered The Spicy Turkey on Dutch Crunch with pepper jack and added jalapenos.

When I got back to work I opened up the Boar's Head bag and and unrolled my wrapper. The first thing I noticed was that the roll was not sliced all the way through length wise. They made a "pocket" to put everything in. I want my sandwich sliced all the way through, both length wise and through the middle. However the roll was fresh, and a good dutch crunch. The produce was also very fresh, the lettuce had good crunch, and tomatoes were crisp.
When it came to condiments, they were a little overdone. I noticed as the young lady made my sandwich they mayo bottle was a three headed squeeze bottle. This lead to it being a little heavy on mayo. Even with the "extra" mayo the sandwich seemed a little dry.

I must say the price was very reasonable, especially downtown. I am trying to keep price out of my reviews and not give extra points for low price, but will try and note good value or if I think it is priced a little high.

So  again, this sandwich was "fine." Which is good, but not worth standing in line for 20 minutes for. I ate it, was enjoyable, and I was full (with a bag of chips and a Snapple.) This was a perfect example of a "fine" sandwich.

So there it is! My first review! PLEASE comment, let me know pros and cons...if your are near Beale and Market, go try Cafe Algiers and let me know your thoughts. Thanks, and good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment