Friday, May 20, 2011

Sammy's on 2nd

The Place: Sammy's on 2nd
84 Second Street Between Market and Mission (near Jessie alley)

The Order: House Special


The Review:
I checked an internet review site to find my next spot close to work. It gave me Sammy's on 2nd, so I took the short walk down there. I walked in and was surprised to find no line! (by the time I was leaving there was more of a crowd gathering.)
I ordered the House Special because after all it is their...house special. I also chose this particular sandwich because it was hot pastrami! The menus described it as hot pastrami  and swiss cheese on Pita with avocado and the works. Wait....Whaaat? Pita? This should at least be interesting. I ordered one for myself  (no pickles) and a co-worker and went to get a drink. I came back to watch the sandwich get made and noticed the young lady putting the pastrami in the microwave. When I think of a hot pastrami I think of pastrami right out of the steamer, giving a much more moist, delicious version of the meat. I would consider this more of a heated pastrami. However "heated"  pastrami is still pretty good!
As I paid the nice man at the register he asked if I had a sandwich card with them. I answered no, and he gave me a frequent buyer card with two stamps for the two sandwiched I had ordered. If I go back and buy 7 more, I get a free one! Gotta like that! The whole staff here was very friendly.

I gave my co-worker his sandwich and we both agreed "this looks promising!" The sandwich had a very "healthy" serving of pastrami that would prove to be the star of the sandwich. As I took my first bite I was pleasantly surprised. The pastrami came through nicely with a good pepper flavor, and was embellished by a perfect amount of mustard. The pita allowed the pastrami to really shine and not be over shadowed. The swiss and avocado came in as a nice aftertaste and almost a palate cleanser for my next bite of pastrami.

I was really unsure of the pita as a bread choice and this was defiantly the first time I have had a sandwich on pita...but it worked! This ended up being a very good sandwich and I can see myself racking up that free one pretty quickly. I have to say this is a very good option for the Financial District. This was a great example of a good to a very good sandwich. I wouldn't say it is the best sandwich in town but if someone asked where to get a good sandwich close, I would, and will recommend Sammy's. Give 'em a try and let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Looks really Yummy. I wish i worked in the Financial District...

    ReplyDelete