Saturday, June 18, 2011

Java Beach

The Place: Java Beach at the Zoo
2650 Sloat Blvd
http://www.javabeachsf.com

The Order: The Tsunami
Ham, mortadella, salami and melted cheese (pepper jack)


So I finally got around to reviewing a place outside the financial district. After a walk with my dogs, wife, kids, mother-in-law and a friend, we stopped into Java Beach on Sloat for lunch. This is a great spot right across from the Zoo and blocks from the beach. My wife placed the order while I grabbed a table outside.
This place is popular for lunch and for coffee, so there was a little bit of a wait. You can call ahead and place your order and I recommend it. When we did get the order I sat outside in the Sunset breeze and got into my sandwich. The bread is amazing, a great roll with a  floured crust that bites with a crunch, then yields to a soft delicious dough. Then the oil and vinegar (sub sauce) kicks in with a nice tang that is not overpowering, and is accompanied by the very fresh veggies. Then a trifecta of meats, ham, salami, and mortadella, bound together with a hot melted layer of cheese finishes off a delicious mouthful. Each of the meat's flavor came through most likely because they slice their own behind the counter.
This was a very good sandwich that I highly recommend if  you are going to the zoo, the beach, or just happen to be on this side of town. They offer great coffee as well. The Tsunami is an awesome hot sub with some of my favorite meats, melted cheese and a high quality roll.

I recently heard someone describe the ingredients of "The Holy Trinity" of bread, meat, and cheese, and Java comes through on all three. Give 'em a try and let me know!

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite sandwich ever! But I do the turkey and cheddar...yum yum...gotta get it hot!

    ReplyDelete