Friday, June 10, 2011

Les Croissants

The Place: Les 2 California St
(between Drumm St & Davis St)


The Order: Grilled Pork Banh Mi
The Review:
So after a few negative reviews, a friend of mine from work and blog follower recommended I go to his trusted banh mi spot. I have only had a couple banh mi before and enjoyed them so I took his word...and order, and headed to Les Croissants.
Before I get to far into my review let me give you a quick overview of the banh mi, or Vietnamese sandwich.
They start with a french roll, then fill it with your choice of meat, usually pork, chicken, or ham. Then they add sliced cucumber, and thinly sliced pickled carrots and daikon. Add some cilantro, jalapeno, a little soy sauce and sometimes pate, and you have your banh mi.

As I stepped in, I was greeted by a very friendly young lady, with a big smile. Both ladies that  worked here were very nice and friendly. I ordered a grilled pork for myself and a grilled chicken for my friend and 2 cookies. I paid...$10 total ($4.50 a sandwich and 2 for a dollar homemade cookies) and took my order back to work.
The sandwiches were filled with a lot of  the traditional banh mi ingredients (no pate, thank you) and smelled great.

My first bite into the bread was a great start. This french roll was perfect! A nice crisp crust that gives way to a soft inside which allows the fillings of the sandwich to stay put. Then the flavor of the pickled carrots and daikon hit with the fresh crunch of the cucumber. Not to be overshadowed, the saltiness of the pork and soy sauce joined the party with a bit of heat from the jalapeno. This was a party of flavor with the bite of all the veggies, a touch of heat, and delicious salty pork, all wrapped in some great french bread. The heat stayed on your lips, so if you are sensitive to such things I would recommend you ask for no jalapenos.
So over all this was really tasty and really cheap! I have to thank my friend at work for recommending them. For a fast, cheap, tasty meal, give Les Croissants a try! The cookies are worth it too, but this isn't San Francookie, is it.

I will be trying to get to more places outside the FiDi, so far it has been convenient for me to get to places there while at work. Thanks for the support, tell your friends, comment, and eat some sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment