Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mondo Caffe

The Place: Mondo Caffe
602 Mission St (between 2nd St & New Montgomery St)
http://www.mondocafesf.com/

The Order: Crab Melt
The Review:
Again I went to a popular Internet review site to find my next place. Mondo Caffe came up with people raving about their crab melt. I took the walk over and almost passed the place right up. In a little while I wish I did.
I went in and saw two ladies waiting for their sandwiches and stood at the counter right under the "Order Here" sign. There was one man making sandwiches, a young lady watching him, and another man closer to me enthralled with his phone. I stood and waited and looked at the guy looking at his phone. Finally the guy making sandwiches asked what I would like. I told him the crab melt, and phone guy rushed over to take my money. My first disappointment was over a $10 bill for lunch...no drinks, no chips (it did come with a little side salad of wilted crab grass)
As I left I opened the container and smelled the goods. It was warm and smelled good. When I got down to eating it I was impressed with the foccacia bread. The make it in house and it was very good. Then came the crab "melt." Now as I have stated before I am a San Francisco native and was raised on Dungeness Crab. I guess this has made me spoiled. This was a Snow Crab melt. Well it seemed like imitation crab to me. I can't say for sure and I don't want to presume but there was some pink color that I don't think was natural. Not to mention we are literally BLOCKS away from where you can get fresh, local, delicious Dungeness!

To be brief, as brief as my encounter with the worker here, I didn't like this at all. I will say the foccacia warmed on the panini press was good. The rest, the sandwich, the service, hardly deserve mentioning. I really am amazed that this place gets so many good reviews online. Save your money  ($10!!) and the joy of being ignored until your wallet comes out and skip Mondo Caffe!

This has been a couple negative posts in a row, and I don't want to come off as a guy who does not like anything! Please send me your favorite places so I can go enjoy a good sandwich and praise somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment